Saw this cookies on YouTube the other day, so decided to give it a try, I wasn’t happy with my first attempt as the color was way too pale. Wasn’t satisfied, decided to try baking again, and I must says, this looks a lot better then the other day.
170g butter, softened
1/2 tsp vanilla essence
250g plain flour
1/8 tsp salt
Red and green gel food coloring
miniature dark chocolate chips or raisins to resemble watermelon seeds
1. In the mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar with K-beater on speed 4 and beat until light and fluffy.
2. Add in egg and vanilla essence and beat for 10 sec
3. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and salt together
4. Reduce the mixer speed to 2, using a metal spoon and gradually add in the flour
5. Cream till all is well mix and dough is formed
6.The dough should weigh around 600g
7.Take 140g of dough and roll into a 9cm long roll. Wrap in cling wrap
8. Take another 160g of dough, tint with green food coloring gel, roll into a long roll. Wrap in cling wrap
9. Take the remaining 300g of dough and tint with red food coloring gel, then shape into a long roll. Wrap in cling wrap
10. Refrigerate 2 hours or until firm.
11. On a lightly floured surface, roll plain dough into a rectangle.
12. Unwrap red dough and place on a short end of the plain dough; roll up.
13. Roll green dough into a rectangle. Place red and plain roll on a short end of the green dough; roll up.
14. Wrap in plastic wrap; refrigerate for 2 hours until firm
Preheat oven to 175°.
15. Unwrap and cut dough into 1/4 inch, cut the cookie dough into half,
16. Lightly press chocolate chips into red dough to resemble watermelon seeds.
17. Bake 8 minutes or until firm (do not let it brown).
18. Let it cool on the baking tray slightly before removing it to wire racks to cool completely