4 large eggs
230g salted butter, softened at room temperature
150g caster sugar
200g self raising flour, sifted.
60g fresh milk
1 vanilla bean, seeds scraped (or 1 tsp vanilla extract)
50g caster sugar (for egg white)
1. Preheat oven at 170°C, lowest rack
2. Line the base of a 7 inch square pan and grease the sides
3. Separate the eggs white and egg yolk, put the egg white into a mixer bowl and the egg yolk into a small bowl
4. Use a K-beater, speed 6, cream butter and 150gm sugar until pale and fluffy.
5. Put in vanilla essence and and beat for a while. Put in egg yolks one by one and beat well after each addition.
6. Put in half the flour and mix on speed 2 until incorporated. Put in milk in 2 additions and mix until well incorporated. Mix in the balance of flour.
7. Use a ballon attachment, beat egg whites in speed 6 until soft peaks, gradually add 50gm sugar and beat until stiff peak.
8. Use a spatulas and add 1/3 of the egg whites into the egg batter and mix till very well mix. (It will be very thick)
9. Fold in gently with the remaining egg whites (it will be thick at first, so don’t worry)