Prepare in advance:
50g pandan leaves, cut into section
Bring water and pandan leave to a boil and simmer for 10 mins, leave to complete cool before use.
175ml cold pandan water
1/4 tsp pandan / banana / strawberry / orange essence etc.
1/4 tsp green / yellow / red / orange coloring etc
1. In a big mixing bowl, mix the lotus paste (or any other filling you prefer) and pumpkin seed together, divide into the require amount of filling that fit your mould, shape into ball and set aside
2. Sift the Koh Fan and icing sugar into a big mixing bowl and use a hand whisk and mix well
3. Make a well in the centre and add water and use the hand whisk and stir at the same time
4. When it form a dough use a scraper and mix
5. Add in the shortening and mix well
6. Add in the essence and coloring and use your hand and knead gently until a soft dough form.
7. Cover and leave to rest for 20 mins. (Optional)
Make Up Procedure
1. Sprinkle table top with Koh fan and use a rolling pin and roll each portion into round shape, thicker in the centre
2. Wrap up the filling with skin and shape it round
3. Sprinkle more Koh fan onto the dough and the mould to prevent it from sticking
4. Press into the mould firmly, do not need to knock, simply over turn and the moon cake will be out, store in an airtight container line with baking paper.
5. Chill in fridge for at least 1/2 hour before serving
Recipe adapted from Agnes Chang