Ezekel is back for one week holiday, though his birthday is end of next month, but I won’t be seeing him till December, so I decided to celebrate his 20th birthday in advance for him. This is my first attempt in making this lychee martini cake, believe it or not I have never eaten or heard about this cake before until my friend Irynn give me the recipe and ask me to try, as she said is very very nice. Thanks Irynn for your recipe! 😍😘
1 cann of lychee
Method for ingredient (A):
1. Cut one cann of lychee into small pieces, discard the syrup ( or you can reserve the syrup to make cocktail) and put into a bowl of 100ml of vodka and soak overnight.
Preparation for making the cake:
1. Line a 9 inch round baking tin.
2. Pre heat oven to 180°C
3. Separate the egg yolk and egg white in separate mixing bowl
188g cake flour
1/3 teaspoon baking powder
1/3 teaspoon salt
1/3 teaspoon milk powder
Method for ingredient (B):
sift together and set aside
5 egg yolks
90g icing sugar
75g Cooking oil
1 teaspoon lychee essence
Method for ingredient (C):
1. In a electric mixer, use k-beater and beat the egg yolk and icing sugar till pale and light. Speed 6 / 4 mins
2. Slowly add in the oil and mix well, follow by milk and essence and mix till well blend
3. Reduce to speed 2 and add in the flour slowly and beat for 30 sec / speed 6 till smooth, set aside
5 egg white
100g icing sugar
1/3 teaspoon cream of tartar
Method for ingredient (D):
1. In another mixer bowl, whisk the egg white in speed 4 for 30 secs till foamy.
3. Pour in the sugar slowly, in a few additions, while the mixer is still running. The sugar, when added gradually, greatly stabilizes the meringue. But the sugar needs to be added slowly to give time for the sugar to dissolve and not weigh down the meringue. The meringue should be whisked to a glossy, firm peaks – just slightly short of stiff peaks. The whites should look glossy and when the whisk is lifted, the peaks will hold but the tip will fall back slightly onto itself, turn off the mixer.
4. Use a rubber spatula, start by adding 1/3 of the eggs white (meringue) into the egg yolk mixture and gently fold into the egg yolk mixture. Turn the bowl as you fold in. Add the remaining egg white in 2 addition.
5. Pour into baking tin and bake for 30-35 min.
6. Leave to cool in the pan for 5 min then removed the cake from the mould and over turn on a wire rack to leave it for few hours till completely cool down
7. When it is completely cool, slice the sponge cake crosswise into 3 layers.
Pour the vodka (from the soaked lychee) into a sprayed bottle and spray all the surfaces which will be coated with cream, OR use a brush to brush on the cake.
Method for ingredient (E):
1. Drain the chopped lychee, set aside, reserve the liquid
2. Put All the ingredients E in a electric mixer with ballon attachment, using medium speed (about speed 4) and whisk till ribboned and a soft peak form
3. Take 130g Of whipping cream and mix with the chopped lychee pieces.
4. Place the bottom layer of the sponge cake onto the spinning cake stand. Coat the surface of the sponge cake evenly with a half of the lychee cream mixture
5. Place the second layer of sponge cake on top and coat the surface of the sponge cake evenly with the remaining lychee cream mixture.
6. Place the third layer of sponge cake on top
7. Apply crumb coat and chill in the fridge for 30 min.
8. Frost the cake using the remaining whipping cream from ingredient E, add your desire color and decorate the cake as per normal.