Make this cake for a friend’s son Riley who will be turning 5 tomorrow and he requested to have a Hulk cake for his party. Unlike the Boeing 777 plane cake which I have a friend (who is a professional baker) to help me, this time round I uses some of the tips she teaches me and pull this off by myself. It took me a good 10-12 hours in total to complete it, but I must say I’m quite satisfied with the result as it was better then those I had made before I learn those tips. Happy 5th Birhtday Riley! Hope you will like this cake. Riley, may our good Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord bless you and keep you; the make his face to shine upon you and be gracious to you; The L lift up his countenance upon you and give you peace. (
Tips on handling fondant:
Microwave the fondant for 5 sec (handful size) 10 sec (1-1.5kg）interval until fondant is soft and easy to knead
Apply shortening on your hands to prevent sticking
Add some Glycerine into the fondant (to soften the fondant)
Use glycerine, cellogen with a bit of water to make transparent glue
Things to do few days in advance
the walls, rocks and alphabets. Mix the Fondant with cellogen (to help harden the rocks and alphabets) and mix well, remember to stick a toothpick underneath so to secure on the cake.
Make the small rocks using black fondant, pinch into small bits and let it dry then crush into like bread crumbs, brush with edible glue to stick the rocks on
Chocolate Mud Cake
For the cake: need to bake 2 potion and one day in advance before assemble.
115g Butter (room temperature)
100g caster sugar
115g brown sugar
(B) sift together
170g Self Raising Flour
50g cocoa powder
1/4 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1/4 tsp of salt
4 medium eggs (room temperature)
6 tbsp sour cream
1 tsp vanilla extract
1. Per heat the oven to 170 degree and line a 9 inch baking tin
2. Put the ingredients (A) in the mixer bowl, using K-beater, speed 0-6 and cream butter and sugar until pale and fluffy
3. Add in the vanilla essence
4. In a small bowl, beat one egg lightly, reduce to speed 4 beat in the eggs, one at a time, If it looks curdling add 2 tbsp from the flour mixture
5. Reduce to speed 1, add in the flour mixture, and sour cream, alternating between the two – starting and ending with the flour. Increase to speed 6 and beat for 1 min
6. Pour the batter into tins and gently encourage the batter to the sides.
7. Bake for 30-35 mins until a skewer comes out clean.
8. Let cool 5 Mins in tins, then turn on to a wire rack to cool completely.
9. Repeat for the second cake.
Chocolate ganache ingredients:
600g Nestle dark chocolate melts buttons
300g thicken cream
2 tablespoon Kahlua liquor (optional, but highly recommended)
1. Put the chocolate and thicken cream in a microwaveable deep bowl
2. Microwave for one mins on Medium setting. remove, stir with a spoon, put in another min, remove, stir again, repeat the steps till all melted.
3. Once melted, use the whisk and whisk for 3-4 mins till thicken and glossy.
4. Add in the liquor and mix well
(Note: for winter use less chocolate, for summer add more chocolate)
1. Make the cake base, using cardboard then wrap with aluminum foil (for easy handling of the cake. Use the cake and measure to get exactly the same size.
2. Trim the top part of the cake off.
3. Put some of the off cut cake on a plate, use a fork to mash it up, add in some chocolate ganache and mix well then use to frost the cake with this mixture to fill up gaps and holes on cakes.
4. Place a piece of baking paper under the cake board (Note: to help you move and transfer the cake around)
5. Stack both cake on top of each other then trim the cake to the shape you desire
6. Remove the top layer then brush with chocolate ganache on the bottom layer the put the top layer back on, frost the whole cake with chocolate ganache evenly, leave to set in the fridge for about 15 mins or till chocolate is harden.
8. Use a thick water pipe or rolling pin and roll out the green fondant that is enough to cover the whole cake.
9. Transfer the cake to another clean sheet of baking paper, cover the cake with the rolled out green fondant then smooth the cake and trim off all the sides.