I have been wanting to make this for a long time, finally tonight I can tick it off from my “to cook” list. When my son saw this, he gives me a funny look on his face, but after taking a bite, he ask whether can he have another one? When my husband came back, he ask me why is this thing look so weird? But he say is yum after eating it too! I guess is a success isn’t it?
Make 6 burger
Ingredients A: for cooking short grain rice
3 cups short grain rice (Calrose rice)
1 piece 4 inches long Konbu (sea-kelp)
3 1/4 cup water
Ingredients B: Vinegar dressing For Shari (Vinegred Rice)
3 tbsp sugar
1 1/2 tsp salt
4 1/2 tbsp Japanese Vinegar (Mizkan grain flavored distilled vinegar)
Ingredients C: Teriyaki Pork
450g pork belly slices for steamboat
1 large onion, slice thinly
Some white and black sesame seeds
2 tablespoons of sugar
6 tablespoons teriyaki sauce
4 tablespoons mirin
3 tablespoons Japanese light soya sauce
1/2 cup water
Method for the Rice:
1. Wash rice and drain in a colander for 30 mins
2. Place water in the rice cooker, add the rice and place Konbu on top and cook as per normal
3. While the rice is cooking, proceed to cook the pork as below.
4. Prepare the vinegar dressing for the rice (see B)
6. Transfer the hot rice to a Hangiri (wooden rice tub) or a glass bowl, do not use plastic bowl or the rice cooker pot.
8. Toss rice by using a flat wooden rice paddle
9. Use only. Side way cutting motion when mixing and tossing Sushi rice until the rice is cooled
10. Wet both hands and the egg rings (to prevent sticking) and form the sushi rice into patties
11. Heat up a non stick frying pan with some oil and cook the rice patties at a medium heat on one side only to brown the rice and help fuse the rice together, remove from heat, sprinkle some black sesame seed on top (optional)
1. Heat oil in a wok and sauté onion until fragrant.
5. Add in the sesame seed and mix well, dish up and set aside.