Pulut Inti or Glutinous Rice With Sweet Coconut is a traditional malay dessert found in southeast asia – Malaysia, Indonesia and Singapore. They are great snacks to be enjoyed over an afternoon tea or as a dessert. The steamed glutinous rice is infused with coconut milk and served with grated coconut that’s been cooked with Palm sugar. This is a very pretty and yummy dessert to serve when you are entertaining, and it is also gluten free!
600g glutinous rice – (soaked overnight or at least 6 hours), drained
2 pandan leaves – tie in a knot
200ml coconut milk (I use Chef’s choice brand)
(B): mix well in a bowl
200ml coconut milk
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon sugar
a few drops blue food colouring
454gms (1 pkt) Frozen Grated Coconut or fresh grated coconut
230g good quality Gula Melaka – cut into small pieces (or to taste)
2 pandan leaves
Method for the coconut:
1. Heat a non stick wok, put in the Gula Melaka and fry in low heat till melted
Note: if it is not sweet enough add more Gula Melaka, if is too dry add some coconut milk
1. Prepare the steamer on high heat
2. Put (A) into a 7 inch square tin and steam (use 1st tier) for 30 mins over high heat
3. When the time is up, remove the rice from the steamer, add (B) and mix well with a ladle, then make some holes and steam for another 15 mins (or until cooked and soft)
4. take about 1/3 of the rice into another blow and add a few drops of blue colouring and mix.
1. Spoon the rice into mini muffins tray (I use mini cup) use a spoon to press lightly
2. remove to a plate, scoop the coconut using a measuring spoon (1/2 tbsp) and make into a dome shape then put on top of the rice
3. repeat till all ingredients finished.