Been seeing a lot of Zucchini noodles recipe on the internet for quite sometime, today I decided to give this a try as I would like to increase vegetables intake in my children’s diet. I would say this is pretty much a Paleo diet – is gluten free, dairy free and grain free. Whenever I make spaghetti for my family, I usually use bottled sauce, as they are cheap and convenient, so this is my first time making bolognese sauce from scratch. And the verdict from my children – Yummy!
Ingredients for the Bolognese Sauce:
1 Tablespoon coconut oil / olive oil
1 large onions, chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced (or 1-2 Tbsp minced garlic)
500g lean beef mince (or mince of your choice)
1 Tablespoon dried rosemary
2 Tablespoon dried oregano
50g carrot, grated or finely diced
100g celery, finely diced
300g (about 1) zucchini, grated
1 kg large roma tomatoes, chopped
100g tomato paste
100g cup mushrooms, sliced
sea salt and pepper to taste
Ingredients for the Zucchini Noodles:
3 large Zucchini
1/4 teaspoon salt
Direction for the bolognese sauce:
1. In a large pan cook onion and garlic in olive oil for a few minutes until they start to soften, but not yet brown.
2. Add the mince beef and herbs and cook until just starting to brown.
4. Add in mushroom, salt and pepper to taste. Remove and set aside.
Direction for the zucchini Noodles:
1. Wash and clean the Zucchini, cut the the top and boot, end of the Zucchini
2. Use a peeler and shred into long stripes. Discard the core
3. Put the shredded Zucchini onto a colander, add in the salt and mix well, leave it to drip dry