I used to buy store bought Carbonara sauce whenever my family ask from “white pasta sauce”, but I stop buying them when I chance upon this recipe online. This suppose to be a dry spaghetti, but my son prefer it a bit wet, so after a few trial and error, I manage to get the consistency that he likes. Of course if you prefer the original version of the dryer spaghetti, you can reduce the amount of thicken cream and cheese. Enjoy!
250g Fettuccine or spaghetti
350g Chicken thigh or chicken breast, cut into bite size
6-8 medium shitake mushrooms
1 tablespoon Olive oil
3 whole eggs + 1 more egg yolks
100g Thicken cream
60g grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 teaspoon Freshly ground pepper
1/4 teaspoon Salt, or to taste
1. Soak the mushroom till soft, discard the stems and sliced thinly
2. Season the chicken with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper
3. In a bowl, whisk together the eggs, cream, Parmesan cheese, salt and black pepper
4. In a pan, heat up 1 tablespoons oil and cook the chicken till brown and fully cooked
5. Add the mushrooms and cook a another 2 minutes. Dish up and set aside. Leave the pan on the stove, do not wash it.
7. Transfer the spaghetti into the pan then put in the egg mixture and mix to coat the spaghetti.
8. Add in the cooked chicken and mix well (The heat from the skillet, chicken, mushrooms and spaghetti will cook the egg yolks.)
9. Serve immediately.
This is a very quick spaghetti dish, so make sure you get everything ready before you start cooking.
If the spaghetti gets too dry, you add in more cream or some of the spaghetti water to the sauce.