This is my Mother-in-law’s signature dish, which is the most sort after by her children, grandchildren and relatives alike. Usually, my Mother-in-law will only prepare this dish during Chinese New Year, but today, the family get together to celebrate my Father-in-law’s 75 years old birthday celebration, so she decided to cook this dish as it is also my father-in-law’s favourite dish. When my Father in law smiles and gives a thumbs up, it is worth all the effort!
My Mother-in-law often get requests for the recipe, but being an experienced Chef, she doesn’t have measurements on the ingredients. In order to be able to pass down this family traditional dish to the next generation, with the help of my Mother-in-law, here is the recipe. Hope you enjoy this dish as much as our families.
Make 16 rolls
500g minced pork
250g water chestnut, diced
300g prawn, diced
60g shredded carrots
1 eggs, beaten
1 big onions – diced
6 pieces cream crackers ( 苏打饼 ), crushed (put in last)
1 packet of dried bean curd skin (less salt), cut into 20cm x 11cm
2 to 2 1/2 tablespoon light soy sauce, or to taste
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon corn flour
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1. Put ingredient A and seasoning in a large mixing bowl and mix well and marinade for 30mins
2. Follow the shape of the sheet and cut into pieces OR cut into 20cm x 11cm
3. Use a damp cloth to lightly wipe the bean curd skin (to soften the skin)
4. Take 80g of meat mixture and place it onto the skin
5. Fold the two side of the skin then roll up, remove to a plate and set aside. Repeat step 3 to 5 till all mixture is finished.
6. Heat oil in wok till smoke arise. Reduced heat then put in the meat roll
7. Deep fry till golden brown
8. Dish up and drain well and leave to cool slightly before cutting into bite size and serve warm or cold
NOTE: If you prefer a less oily option:
9. Deep fry till half cooked (light brown) and leave to cool completely.
10. Cut into bite size, line a baking paper on the basket and air fry at 180°C for 8 to 10min or till cooked and golden brown
11. Serve warm or cold.
NOTE For advance cooking or freezing:
1.Deep fry till half cook (See step 9), dish up and drain dry
2. Put into a container and put in the fridge for next day use or can be put in freezer and freezer for up to 1 month
3. Thaw the frozen roll in the fridge overnight (if is from the freezer)
4. Cut into bite size, air fry or deep fry till cooked and golden brown. Serve
NOTE: It is advisable to just cook 1 roll to try is the seasoning to your liking before you proceed to make all the meat rolls.