My mother in law make this Kueh often while I’m stilling living in Singapore. As this is my husband’s favorite food, I ask her to teach me so I can make for him. But she doesn’t have a recipe, everything is “by feel”, over the past 11 years, I made this countless time but still can’t get it the right texture and taste, eventually I gave up, I stop making this for the past few years. Few months ago., I decided to pick it up again, after the third try, I finally got it right, and my husband says is 👍, and the taste is just nice to his liking. What a relieved! 😅
As you have notice I have 2 method of cooking listed below, using stove or Thermomix. I am a lazy cook, so I did not use the Thermomix to steam the keuh as the the steamer cannot fit a 9 inch square tin, of course you can steam them in mini bowl/mould, or even half the portion. As my husband only like the pan fried version so I have to stick to my mother in law’s way of doing it, as he always tell me “I do not like changes!!” 😀😀
30g Dried mushroom, soak then slice thinly
50g Dried shrimp, soak for 10 mins, drain
200g Pork belly, remove the skin then cut into small cubes
1 teaspoon garlic
1 tablespoon oil
700g Pumpkin, cut into big cubes (buy 900g)
300ml cold Water
350g Rice flour
700g boiling hot water
600g mashed pumpkin
2 1/2 teaspoon Salt
2 teaspoon light soy sauce
3/4 teaspoon pepper
1 1/2 teaspoon Salt
2 teaspoon light soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon of Pepper
1. in a pot, put in the pumpkin with 30ml of water and cook the pumpkin till is soften.
2. then blend or mash it, set aside and leave to cool.
3. heat oil in the wok, put in garlic and fry till fragrant, add in the pork, dried shrimps, mushrooms and seasoning A and fry till cooked.
4. in a heat proof mixing bowl, use a hand whisk and mix the rice flour and cold water till well mixed
5. Add in the boiling hot water and mix well
6. put in the mashed pumpkins, meat mixture and seasoning B and mix well
7. Prepare a 9 inch square baking tray and steamer on high heat
8. pour into the baking tray and steam for about 45 mins or till cooked
9. leave it to completely cool then cut into slices
10. To serve: you can eat it on its own or pan fry till with oil till golden.
1. Put the pumpkin in TM bowl, add in 30ml of water, put on the cap, 100°C / 15 min / speed 1
2. When pumpkin is cooked and soft (if is not soft, continue to cook for a few more min) blend the pumpkin in 30 sec / speed 5, remove the cover and leave to cool
3. Add 1 tablespoon of oil and the garlic into the TM bowl, 100°C / 1 min / spoon / reverse
4. Add in the pork, dried shrimp, mushroom and seasoning 100°C / 15 min / spoon / reverse
5. in a heat proof mixing bowl, use a hand whisk and mix the rice flour and cold water till well mixed
6. Add in the boiling hot water and mix well
7. put in the mashed pumpkins, meat mixture and seasoning B and mix well
8. Prepare a 9 inch square baking tray and steamer on high heat
9. pour into the baking tray and steam for about 45 mins or till cooked
10. leave it to completely cool then cut into slices
11. To serve: you can eat it on its own or pan fry with oil till golden.