The magic of this cake is that you make one batter and, after baking, you get a cake with 3 layers: dense and firm on the bottom layer, soft custard in the middle layer, and a fluffy sponge cake on the top layer. It has wonderful vanilla flavor and melts in your mouth.
113g unsalted butter
480g fresh milk
115g plain flour, sifted
4 eggs, 60g each
15g caster sugar
140g icing sugar
1 tbsp water
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
Extra icing sugar for dusting
1. Pre-heat oven at 160°C and grease and line a 8 inch square baking pan with baking paper.
2. Melt the butter in microwave on high for 40 sec, stir well, set aside to cool slightly.
3. Warm the milk to lukewarm in microwave for 2 mins, stir and set aside
4. Separate the egg white and egg yolk into two mixing bowl
6. Add in the melted butter and one tablespoon of water and beat for about 1 min at speed 6 or until evenly incorporated. Mix in the sifted flour until evenly incorporated (about 1 min / speed 6).
9. Use a spatular, fold in the egg whites, 1/3 at a time. Repeat until all of the egg whites are folded in. (The batter will appear curdy, just fold till no big curds are seen)
10. Pour the batter into the pan and bake for 50-55 minutes (bottom rack) until the top is golden and the skewer comes out clean
12. before serving, remove from the mould, cut and dust with icing sugar.