This year Chinese New Year is the year of Sheep, lots of people make this cute little sheep cookies and I just couldn’t help myself to join in the fun, there are 2 popular design, the first design are easy to make, but the second design are just way too time consuming but they are the cutest! The cookies are yummy too as they melt in your mouth!
40g icing sugar (sifted)
125g potato starch
80g superfine flour (I used top flour, sifted)
chocolate chips (for the ears)
black sesame (for the eyes)
1. Using K-beater attachment, speed 0-6 cream the butter and sugar for 5 min till fluffy and light in color
2. Sift in potato starch and flour and use hand to knead to form a soft dough. Wrap with cling wrap and chill in the fridge for 30min or longer before shaping it (for easy shaping)
4. Bake at 160C for 25-30 min (you may need to adjust the timing n temperature according to your own oven)
Shaping dough to fatty sheep: Body: Weigh the dough at 8g, black sesame for the eyes, choc chips for the ears and roll 2 small dough and put them on the head and gently press it in the center using a toothpick, use a C fondant tool to make the mouth
Body 6g, 2g for the face, and 2 small ball for the ears, roll 1 small roll and flatten in the middle, roll 2 small roll put them on the head and gently press it in the centre using a tooth pick, black sesame for the mouth.
For the eyes white:
1. Beat 1 egg white with 1 teaspoon of cream of tartar, add in 120g icing sugar and 1 teaspoon lemon juice and beat till stiff peak.
2. use a piping bag and pipe the eye white, then use a toothpick to dip with black fondant gel color for the eyes ball, put back into the oven and bake for 5 min.