As I am the youngest in my family, I grew up without having to do any house work at all, let alone cooking, don’t be mistaken, I don’t come from a rich family, on the contrary, my family is very poor. I grew up in a HDB flat that has got no bedroom at room, I guess I was a spoiled little poor princess! I pick up cooking from my mother-in-law in 1996, just before I was about to leave for Perth, so this is another dish that my Mother-in-law cooks often and is also one of my youngest son’s favorite dish.
500g Chicken breast / thigh, cut into bite size
350g Potato, peel and cut into thin slices
4 cloves of garlic, minced
150-200 ml Water
1 teaspoon Dark soy sauce
1 teaspoon Light soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1/2 teaspoon oyster sauce
2 teaspoon Tapioca flour mix with 2 teaspoon water
1. Marinade chicken with 1 teaspoon each of salt, sesame oil and corn flour and 1/8 teaspoon of pepper
2. Soak the potato in water for 10 mins then drain well
3. Heat oil in the wok on medium heat and fry the potato till half cooked, dish up and set aside
4. Add 1 tablespoon of oil and fry the garlic till fragrant then put in the chicken and fry till it become white in color
5. Add in the water, potato and seasoning and bring to boil, when boiled reduce the heat and simmer till potato is soft and chicken is cooked.
6. Lastly thicken with tapioca flour mixture
7. Serve hot with rice.